Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Welcome to my Glocal Eating blog

Hey everyone,

Welcome to my attempt at sharing my passion about "what we put in our mouths." I've been wanting to share the natural amazing food experiences I'm having here in Italy, and to comment in general about the benefits of non-processed foods. This is part of an endeavor I've so far been developing through my website www.glocal-eating.com.



What does "glocal" mean?
I read in some fun facts email, last year I think, that the word "glocal" had been added to the Oxford English Dictionary. Our beloved Wikipedia traces the origins of the word a bit back further in time, and gives the following satisfactory definition:
"Glocalisation (or glocalization) is a portmanteau word of globalization and localization. By definition, the term “glocal” refers to the individual, group, division, unit, organisation, and community which is willing and able to “think globally and act locally.” The term has been used to show the human capacity to bridge scales (local and global) and to help overcome meso-scale, bounded, "little-box" thinking."

I liked the term, and thought it fit well to my growing belief that eating locally is better both for our bodies and for our environment. And in fact, it is! You can find some great books that explain why and how on the "recommended reads" page of my site.  I feel healthier, and have a much easier time controlling my weight just by cutting out... chemicals!

I will give more details as the blog continues about what the various preservatives in our food do to our bodies, and (more fun) about the yummy ways I'm witnessing Italians eat local and seasonal produce.

I hope you will comment with your own opinions and stories!

BACI! (meaning "kisses" in Italian, an affectionate way to salute)

Michelle

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home